I have a lenovo yoga 730 IKB with 8th gen intel i7. It is running Windows and Manjaro. I received a notification for a bios update from v1.07 to v1.11, after the update the system rebooted and showed a blue screen error. I thought I might have to restore the grub, so I went about doing that. Setup a live disk with Manjaro, went into the bios to set the boot option to USB but the option was not present. A careful check revealed that the SATA controller option was in RST and boot option was in Legacy. Changed it to AHCI and UEFI respectively. Booted up into the live Manjaro started to rescue the grub. The grub loaded but on the next reboot it would directly load windows, which means the secure boot is enabled. I went into the bios again to change the secure boot to ‘disabled’. The bios was not even showing an option for disabling the secure boot. In the end I reverted to the old bios v1.07. Then did the grub rescue and everything is working fine now.
The recovery steps from the bios update would be.
- Download the v1.07 Lenovo bios for yoga 13 IKB and install.
- Setup the SATA controller to AHCI and check if the boot option is in UEFI.
- Live boot into the Manjaro. Follow these steps on booting up.
- Open terminal and type “sudo manjaro-chroot -a” and select the manjaro partition.
- Type in “sudo grub-install — target=x86_64-efi — efi-directory=/boot/efi — bootloader-id=manjaro — recheck” then do “sudo update-grub”.
- Do a reboot, the system should directly boot into your Manjaro partition.
- Log in after that open up the terminal and again do “sudo grub-install” and then “sudo update-grub”
- During the update-grub you would see that the windows partition is being detected.
- Type “efibootmgr”, this should show all your partitions. Check if Manjaro and Windows are present.
- This would show grub with both Windows and Manjaro. To do a double check boot into windows then do a reboot and go into the bios.
- Check if Manjaro is present in under the boot menu. It should have Windows, Manjaro present.
You have rescued your grub. I would attach all the posts that I found helpful during this process. This rescue is specifically for the people who updated to bios v1.11 for lenovo yoga 13IKB laptops.
Manjaro form gurb rescue.